Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hot Sunday


I got out the door at a decent hour this morning and managed close to 25k.

The first 20 were beautiful. I jogged along the shady gravel path that hugs the river and smelled all the new green plants and watched people rowing in needle-thin boats. That path and all the bike paths I saw were quite clear; maybe citizens are already away on vacation. Or else the zombies got em.

The last 5k were less than spectacular. The heat was patiently burrowing under my sunscreened skin like a tropical worm and I just wanted to go home. Tired, sweaty and probably dehydrated, with a face like a bing cherry, I took a short cut and clung for dear life to the shady side of the street (apologies to Armstrong). Once enveloped by the civilized temps of my basement, I realized that since my haircut I have been running hat-free, a routine I should reconsider for the next few months. There was also the case of the absent second gel; usually I force myself to swallow a second one somewhere around 17k, but I forgot to do that today. So if I had an underwhelming final 5, these mishaps might have contributed to the results. My knees were ok, though! No knees were harmed during the making of this run.

Even though my adventure was over before noon and I had a to-do list as long as my arm, I changed my mind and spent the day on my couch, immersed in cold drinks & words. All day long! The list, I decided, could wait.

1 comment:

cs said...

Ooo, that route, I think!
The sun and heat gets brutal on the way back after the gravel runs out, but it's still such a neat place to run.
Once again, no mention of the market building snacks?