Monday, June 11, 2012

Animal crackers


Yoga is there when times are a-changing or too static, or whenever I need some comfort. Some runner friends turned me on to yin, a style that wrenches opens the body with poses held for a long time - maybe 2-3 minutes. The emphasis is on stretching, not so much muscle building, and to stretch for a long duration one is encouraged to find a comfortable way to hold a pose. Otherwise, as the milliseconds tick by, the sensations will become too intense. I had to resort to bolsters and blankets today because my body felt so constricted, especially on my right side. My hips feel more open now because they've been roughened up by the brutal Lotus pose. The name sounds delicate, the pose is not.

I tried a new class tonight. The teacher was helpful and didn't talk a lot, allowing silence to give birth to introspection and introversion. Class concluded with a long relaxing corpse pose that did not end until at least one person woke up in the middle of a snore! My word, it was the perfect yoga class.

I love the poses named after animals. Sometimes I try to find the animal in myself and the people around me. Do we look like a murder of crows ominously at rest in a tall tree, our limbs crossed at crooked angles? Could I pass for a pigeon at a Halloween party if I splay my legs on a mat like this?

Slurpy soup pose: ramen, broc, carrot, shroom, egg.



No comments: