Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dinner at the Taco Lot

While T and I were out strolling this afternoon - baby in stroller - she asked me if I'd been to the Taco Lot yet. It's a small building (a shack, actually) in a parking lot a few blocks from my place. It's along the same lines as other quick eateries like snack trucks that serve just a few items. It's great to see that the city that fun forgot is finally giving the green light to small business owners who want to serve interesting fare. I hear there is a Thai truck somewhere in the city. I will sniff it down. 

So I ambled over for a taco dinner feeling very bohemian: Pynchon's characters go out for fish tacos in Cali in Inherent Vice. While placing my order at the window and staring at some mini desserts just within reach, I almost tipped over a small sculpture of a rooster sitting in the gravel. The chalk board listed 4 savoury offerings plus a few flavours of cheesecake and gluten-free shortbread. Something for everyone! 

I had 2 tacos, one fish and one vegetarian, which were accompanied by a scoop of Mexican rice, some cooked red cabbage and lettuce on the side, and tender slices of pineapple and watermelon. A lovely snack! 


Kind of like this.

Then I rounded it off with a chocolate ice cream. I forgot to look for the donut shop by the taco shack. I heard the donuts are good. Next time.

Oh yeah, ran about 14K this morning after some ART yesterday. The sun was hot but I ran slowly, and stretched and iced afterwards. Regardless, the unforgiving IT bands on the outer edge of both legs were irritated and remain so, but I'll appease them with yet more ice treatments before bed, and relax them with some yoga tomorrow. 

 

No comments: