Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Steps

I watched a Flaming Lips concert last night. The Lips affect me like yoga: when I listen to their music, I feel calm and assured that things are going to be okay, which is also how I feel after a yoga class (like yin). I can usually arrive at a positive conclusion on my own but oh can I flounder when the path ahead is foggy and the events of my life are changing but not; in flux yet stalled at the same time. I like how the Lips sing about the the obvious (everyone is going to die) and then comfort us by saying that life is a gift. I suppose it depends on your focus: the sun isn't setting, the darkness is an effect of the earth spinning around. And the act of dying is not an end to life but an opportunity to check out what the hype is all about. (Ever the fact finder.)

Sometimes I contemplate the choices I made in the past and I wonder how I have changed. If I'd known I'd still be ambling along this path, would I have treated people differently or taken different risks? Would I have committed myself to this path to begin with? And now, will I ever step off?

No comments: