Sunday, September 7, 2008

Where the truth lies


I lied - just 28k today, not 30k. The atmospheric details were perfect - good company, beautiful route and cooler than normal temperatures - but still I had a hard slog. (Doug, who had never tackled that dstance before today, looked as fresh as a daisy.) Afterwards, over a cavernous bowl of the strongest joe available at Bridgehead without a perscription, our coach advised me to carry more gels next time. Those little shots of gooey glucose offer only about a 100 calories, enough to revive a weary body and force it to go on. I'm fussy on the gel flavours, refusing all but the descendants of the beloved cocoa-bean (chocolate and espresso), and I know that ultimately there's a limit to the number of gels my tum will accept over the next few months of marathon training. This is no cause for despair: a wild world of sugar products roam freely, and there is no need to remain loyal to one gooey (and disgusting) format. There are probably as many options for sugary pick-me-ups as there are runners.
A runner in our group surprised us one morning; while the rest of us ripped in to our gels like a mad pack of hive-minded Running Room lemmings, she roguishly unfolded a private stash of multi-coloured, multi-flavoured candies which I took to be jujubes but were actually wine gums. Chewy mini-doses of 'port,' 'burgundy' and 'champagne' are edible gems on a Sunday morning's long run. That, my friends, is class.
I hope a gummy equivalent exists for this amazing Mexican wine: L A Cetto Petite Sirah.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

28k! That's awesome! How long does that take to run, by the way?

Those gelcaps do sound tasty... Do they have any anchovy-flavoured or kipper-flavoured varieties? Those sumptuous selections would be suitable to your Atlantic roots, I believe...

cs said...

Congrats for the long run! I think Doug is messing with us. He's going to pop off a sub-3 hr marathon. hahahaha

I missed you guys; got the long run in today. No more wine gums. I like how you made that choice seem classy and not lazy/cheap/ran out of gels. Today I went with a banana instead and it worked pretty well. I have vague plans of trying out marzipan because I always crave it anyway. lol

See you Wednesday or whenever!