Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Swept away

My kitchen is a laboratory and this is a breakfast beaker.

The peaches grown in this neck of the woods are spheres of ambrosia. I nurtured a deep attachment to the peach this summer, a funky surprise having never enjoyed this fruit before. “An immature nectarine with pubescent hair growth,” I would declare (in my head). Perhaps it’s true that love and hate are fruit borne of the same tree. My breakfast life changed when I accepted a fresh peach after finishing my first 25 km. It was like the ol’ Jekyll and Hyde story: in seconds the thing had been devoured, I found a sticky pit in my palm and I had a feeling of being quenched on several levels. I had tapped into an unconscious undercurrent of nectar desire and my fear of fuzz was gone.

Another new friend of mine is flax seed. It’s famous for its omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, two polyunsaturated fats that are beneficial for us. I don't know why, they just are, okay?


Yummy Smoothie
1 tbsp flax (freshly ground)
1/2 banana
1 peach, cut up
About a cup of cold green tea (brewed the day before)
A dollop of yogurt – plain, vanilla, lemon, whatevah
1 tbsp maple syrup

Blend, then pour into a beaker - or alternately, a glass - and sip it slow.

No comments: