Thursday, September 11, 2008

Meatloaf and burnt toast

Some mornings, nothing goes as planned. I chose to stay out late last night and sing karaoke to celebrate a friend’s successful defence of her PhD dissertation. She says she’s only going through that hell once in this lifetime. Who could blame her?

So, I overslept and missed my run today. I miss a lot of morning runs and I burn a lot of toast. I also belt out a hardened and scornful rendition – as only a woman can – of Meatloaf’s “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” at the drop of a hat. The toast destroying I find the most distressful.

The bread I scorched this morning is a “breakfast pita” made by Pita Break. Imagine the love child of a pita and a naan, available in gentle, morning-friendly flavours like orange-cranberry and muesli. The company’s suspicion of the decision-making skills of the individual is illustrated by the toasting instructions printed on the plastic bag. Perhaps they need to make their instructions more clear for curmudgeons like me.

1 comment:

cs said...

'Breakfast beaker', that's cute! And last post, oops.

Anyway, helping a friend celebrate is excuse enough to miss a morning run. But burning toast is not acceptable ;)

I didn't run either today. I'm saving it up for the Army run next weekend. Something like that.