Saturday, September 20, 2008

Apples

Running is dependable. Like my favorite constellation, the Big Dipper (yeah I’m original on that one), running is always there for me when I look for it. When life is going my way, it doubles my pleasure. When I’m facing demons, it has my back; it’s my AK-47 and my cloak of invisibility (the handiest weapon of the future). Running doesn’t erase painful feelings; it props me up so I can better handle the frustration of a slow-moving thesis paper and the hurtfulness of selfish lovers. Hi-speed, lo-fi, intervals, long distance, hills, urban, rural, beach, trails, group, solo: however the run of the day is served, it’s sure to be accompanied by a variety of side dishes, compliments of the chef. I can feel strong, capable, in control, impenetrable, amused and amusing, sexy, rebellious, a shithead, determined, ridiculous, remarkable, retarded, faster than I am, and like I don’t give a fig what’s happening around me because I will be splitting from the scene in 3 seconds max. It’s like backpacking that way. Damn, I miss being an irresponsible traveller.

In terms of sassiness, however, backpacking clothes don’t hold a candle to my running skirt. The skirt says, I can wear shorts and a skirt simultaneously; I can wear a tight, short skirt and not let you see anything I don’t want you to when I fall over, that’s how cool, together and overall awesome I am. If the glacial weather wasn’t already descending like a plague upon this godforsaken city I’d be raising that hemline. (For the record, backpacking clothes say – albeit in a gorgeous foreign accent – wash me before I disintegrate: you don’t know the number of filthy floors I’ve lain upon!)

Another dependable: apples. Award-winning characteristics: Portable. Delicious. Healthy. Crunchy. Fresh. Smurf measurement ("3 apples tall"). Sweet. Juicy. Colorful. Ubiquitous. Compostable. Canadian. Cosmopolitan. And sassy, for sure: red as a monkey’s flaming butt.

2 comments:

cs said...

You don't like the 'glacial weather'? it's awesome! I love it. No more of that 'oh, what's that awful smell? oh, it's me..."

(ok, maybe i'm the only one that experiences this phenomenon, but I suspect that others smell the damage--but no more!)

:D :D :D

Fran said...

Sure, it's cooler and more comfortable, and less scented as you suggest! but as the calendar months fall away my running clothes will become progressively modest. I'm the perfect audience for a winter running skirt but alas you know that ain't gonna happen!