Sunday, February 1, 2015

Lucky 13

I'm getting back in touch with a dear old friend, the Sunday long run. This friend is a big fan of outdoor adventures but those are hard to get excited about in these temperatures. This phase of winter is rancorous and repellant. 

I speak only for myself but I can't be the only one who thinks that way because the gym was crowded on the weekends until just last week when the chaotic vibe loosened up. Fewer people on the machines and more lockers available in the change room. One explanation could be that the snowbirds have flown to warmer places. If that's the case, the place will return to zoo city soon enough. Another possibility is that people have dropped interest in maintaining their memberships, and their ambition to see their new year's resolution through to the end, and returned to sleeping in on Sundays. Or maybe people are tougher than me and have taken up running on the canal! I definitely know that last option to be true.

So I was able to score a treadmill for 13k this morning without keeping anyone waiting for my machine. There was no lineup. Having broken the long run seal - it's been ages since a distance longer than 10k, maybe since my October half - it hopefully won't be long until I see some progress and the long runs lengthen like summer days. I definitely see a fall marathon in my future, maybe even someplace far away....

Festibiere d'hiver



No comments: