Sunday, March 31, 2013

Saturday goose

The geese are back. 

They're starting to appear in small clusters along the river. Yesterday I walked by three of them, still as statues. Dum dee dum, what a beautiful day for a jaunt, oh look, three geese perched on rocks, I wonder what's for din -- wait, what?! I stopped in mid-step and looked straight ahead at the closest one. My first goose sighting of the season! Amazing. How are ya, Goosie?

Goosie stared back at me, sideways, out of one onyx eye, flatly underwhelmed by my presence. I'm not sure if it's been in town long enough to expect bread from humans. I think not. It held my gaze a little nervously. It reminded me of a tourist, freshly arrived and stiff from travel and from exercising new-place caution. A tourist who just got into town and doesn't know where to hang out and doesn't want the locals staring at his dumb clothes and untanned skin. But wants to be here.

It appeared on the thin side for a goose. I mean, not really, but the geese fatten up here super well from the lush, possibly genetically modified by experimental farm scientists, grass along the river's edge, and so post-arrival, pre-grass feeding frenzy, it appeared underfed and hungry. Goosie continued to stare at me from its rock until I turned and walked away. Quickly.

Easy run today. Relaxing and hat-free! 20k.

No comments: