Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rich dinner, poor l'il me

This evening's dinner plate was a showcase of new adventures and comfortable standbys. I cooked up a hot batch of sweet potato and corn patties (photo to come) paired with a couple of cool summer rolls made of buckwheat noodles and tofu. All hand food! Who needs you to have a good time, fork?

The recipe for sweet potato patties I discovered on Budget Bytes, one of a few blogs I've been consulting as I try to save a large - nay, dinosaur-esque - portion of my income, while also shelling out for a few luxuries like an upcoming tramp through Europe and paying those pesky educational fees. The road to financial freedom is as hole-ridden as a colander, but since the shift in vision I'm starting to see evidence of success in the form of healthy bank accounts. How on earth did I have lunch out and buy tons o' clothes and still think of myself as a "saver" all these years? Tsk tsk. Now I'm cutting back on stuff that matters not, like restaurant lunches and mindless shopping, and taking comfort in the fact that our cupboards are well stocked with tins of coconut milk, Cuban coffee beans and spices galore assembled from two kitchens nearly bursting with all the packs of dried herbs a home chef could want. The necessities. Couldn't stage this revolution without 'em.

Alas, 'tis a sad evening for yours truly. D departed today for his solo expedition through France, Spain and his own sweet soul, and now my dining room table looks bare, adorned with just one place mat and one plate. We've shared many dinners facing each other across this wooden table over the last few months. And in a few months more we'll be sharing tapas in southern Europe. I hope the months pass quickly!

Ran 8.75 km today in 50 minutes. Yes, running outside is free but I was too blue to run further. Gah.


3 comments:

cs said...

Aww, I'll be thinking of you and D, and the happy reunion down the road...

Meanwhile, I'm with you in studentsaverland. Have we talked about megadarra?

Fran said...

We have not, but yeah I'm with you - this dish rocks! I was introduced to it by another name but it contained the same delicious mix of flavours. Fond memories of the burnt onions. I guess all the ingreds are wallet-friendly, eh? Lentils, rice, onions. Thanks for the reminder!

cs said...

Totally wallet-friendly. I remember making a large tray of it once (more than 10 meals' worth) and realizing that it cost only 5-6 bucks.

Confession: I'm lazy, I cook the rice and lentils (or whatever dal) in the same pot.

It's interesting how many different variations there are of the base. I once worked with a Sudanese woman who told me her family makes it but also adds spicy noodles to it. I've never tried it with yoghurt but that seems to be a common addition too.