Friday, August 24, 2012

Indian buffet for lunch...

...means an uncomfortable run six hours later!

I stopped by a popular Indian restaurant with a colleague who also adores tandoori and parathas. We were pretty stoked. Overall the food was delicious, and the eggplant curry and mini samosas in particular were packed with flavor. But hours later when I took my first steps of the night's 10k my stomach boiled up with indigestion and I fought a strong desire to pull off the path and let it all out.

It was a good test though, and now I know to stick to plain, some might say dull, carbs before the September race. Foods with pasta, rice and bread and few/no chilis are probably best suited for my endurance needs -- and what a crying shame! I'd prefer go out for a fulfilling Indian feed the night before than a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup.

The experience also got me wondering what it is about this cuisine that argues so disagreeably when I exercise. The spices? The oil? Perhaps the overall amount? Admittedly, I sampled a hella good amount of delicacies.

I would not have experienced such depths of gut suffering had I indulged in D's sensible kale & avocado and mixed grain salads.

Ruffage, anyone?

No comments: