Friday, November 5, 2010

Jolene

My first outdoor run after getting sick and existing on pause was very fun. I ran along sidewalks and tried to avoid soggy leaves and puddles for 45 minutes. I listened to a collection of punk tunes downloaded from a colleague's collection. I didn't know that punk songs are always short and sometimes intertextual, as in they parody or pay homage to other songs, sometimes in different genres. They are also very funny: I heard a cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" sang by a male ("Jolene / Jolene / Please don't take him just because you can") without any hint of gay signals (not that I'd recognize them, I guess). Not many bands would be brave enough in their subversivity (I just made that up) to do the same. I played the frenetic songs at an ear-blistering volume level and resisted urges to play chicken with cars in the rainy darkness. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes would surely rage on such restraint.

Adventures with pintos
Chillaxing in the bath with onion & bay leaves

1 comment:

cs said...

Are the beans done yet, or this just another prep stage? looks good.
Your soundtrack beats my earworm this morning: "Mr. Bad Example" (warren Zevon)

I'm glad you're feeling better!