Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Volcano curry

This morning I woke up to a sink full of dishes and mountains of dirty laundry. I've been burning the candle at both ends the last couple of evenings. Such adventures wipe out all my spare cleaning time and energy (I know - shucks) and since my roommate is the laziest, nothing gets done except the stuff I get paid to do. These stints are short and intense, with something like 15 butt-in-chair hours per day for a few days. But so be it. They're fun in a caffeine-driven, deadline-flogged kind of way. I'm also, for brief periods, tolerant of my own disarray.

Assisting me through my time crunch hell was my anticipation of dinner. I looked forward to finally getting the kitchen in order and cooking something new and tasty. I had a recipe in mind, and almost all the ingredients in my cupboards. All I needed was a hot Indian spice mix.

Mission accomplished.


Four bucks for a massive bag of spice!

The spice mix is fiery. I ate an hour ago and can still feel the lingering chili in my throat. The tomato base of the curry dampens its effects I think, but only until the flavours have a chance to mingle, at which point the curry will become a firebomb.

I just hope I can get my laundry done before the lightning strikes. ;-)

:: Chickpea spinach curry with Thai rice ::
PS: The text on the bottom of the spice bag reads, "This picture does not reflect the ingredients of the contents of the pouch. (no closing quotation marks)

No comments: