Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hot cans in a small world

I woke up in Hiroshima to the sound of my alarm set for an early rise. The plan was to meet in the lobby but my brother is missing. This, my SIL says, is because the two of them heard the train last night. Heard it frequently. So, when a nice hotel is really cheap, there is usually a good reason behind the reduced rates. I got my coffee from a vending machine on the way to the lobby. I accidentally pressed the button for the cold can instead of the hot, so I shoved the cold one in my backpack for later, and bought two hot ones. And they are really hot. They think of everything for cold days - heated toilet seats and hot cans of coffee from vending machines. No central heating but the thick comforters do a good job of nesting me to sleep every night, when sleep in available and not hijacked by jet lag and loud trains. The vending machine beside me right now is the one you use to pay for the hotel room you registered for at the front desk. A few minutes ago, having no credit cards to process, it burst into an acoustic version of It,s a Small World After All.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though the mountains divide, and the oceans are wide, its a small, small world ;)
Enjoy the heated seats and sleeps when you can get them!
xox
D

cs said...

Machines that spit out tunes in addition to performing their primary functions--how I miss Asia! I once had a washing machine that played classical music (a bit of a Schubert song, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, best sleep/silent train vibes!