Sunday, January 19, 2014

Treadmillin'

I jumped out of bed expecting to run outside today on the frozen surface of the canal. Then I checked the temperatures and wimped out, defaulting to Plan B - treadmill at the gym. It's funny that a moderately low temperature can scare me away from running outside for an hour, while the superduper Gaz headed bravely into an ultra marathon today! But it's windy, I whispered to myself...

The treadmills at the gym are your standard hamster running machines, with buttons for speed, incline, TV channels, and so on. Today I noticed a button I hadn't before - a fan with three speeds! Cool air is expelled at the top of the screen, which is at about throat height for me, so after a few minutes I tried the lowest fan speed, and after 30 I boosted it to medium speed. It felt great! What a nifty option. 

I only ran 9.5 km in the hour I spent running. I was expecting another km on top of that, but I probably spent too much time jogging on low speeds to warm up.




2 comments:

cs said...

Hey, don't dismiss your toughness--it was cold out there! Meanwhile, I was enjoying the world's longest dine and dash.

I am entranced by this amazing treadmill with a built-in fan...

Michael said...

Umm, running along the canal comes with a "cool breeze".