Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cheesy rice

:: Cheesy-rice topography speckled with black bean boulders ::
Yesterday I spit out another ~ 9.5k or so on the treadmill - cool breeze through my hair - so I declined a workout tonite in favour of baking a casserole. What?!, you might shriek. Isn't that a hippie health nut craze from the 70s? My reply would be: No, I just made this tonight.

As D knows, I am rather fond of mining fridge, freezer and cupboards for scraps to add a little somethin' to a mix like this. A hot pepper or some frozen corn can raise the status of brown rice and beans to great heights, or at least to the point where it can be considered a meal. In this case, I added a cup of raw shredded carrot, minced garlic and some cheese, bound it all up in a can's worth of diced tomatoes and tablespoons of chili powder and cayenne, and baked it for a half hour. The cheese bubbles on top and it smells GOOD.



1 comment:

cs said...

Super! That's my kind of cooking--throwing random stuff down--but I haven't made any rice casseroles. The thought hasn't even occurred to me. Will keep it in mind next time I'm staring at miscellanea in the veg drawer, thanks!