Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hay Buenissimos

Spanish snails are friendly and edible!
I might have just polished off a glass of red wine when I snapped this one, yet I think that if you replaced the snail's stein with a red wine stem our trip would not be entirely ill-represented by the chalky, long-lashed caricature you see here.

There were wines, smiles and unfamiliar languages so musical you could hear the upside-down exclamation marks.

There were pots of seafood, baskets of bread, soft creamy cheeses, perfect olives and er, curries and naan.

A bowl of snails one time (which ended up being a super gross experience but it had to be tried), coffees and pastries and lots of other goodies. Let's see how well I can describe these and other Spanish and Portuguese treats in future posts....


3 comments:

cs said...

I'm sorry the snails were gross. I used to love eating them when I was a kid, but probably because of copious amounts of garlic butter.

Hopefully your next culinary experience will be much better!

Fran said...

It's like the difference between gutting and beheading a trout you caught, or tucking into a fish burger. A few years ago I enjoyed some full-blown escargot in the market, slathered with butter n' garlic, and it was the best. The Portugal experience was a bit different. You pick the small snails from their shells with toothpicks and face the tiny animals inside. Without that obfuscating smear of butter, the naked snails tested my adherence to vegetarianism and I still don't know if I passed!

cs said...

Yes, that's escargot night and day. The nude unslathered creatures would be daunting.