Friday, September 28, 2012

A mistake

Five days of no running, or workouts of any sort! It feels like a long stretch, but it also feels luxuriously wonderful (and necessary - both quads are still tender). I think about lacing up the shoes, or selecting my long run clothes every day.

I've learned something that I used to know, and forgot (so is it really learning? Gah). I was wondering what the reason was behind my early wane in energy during the marathon, so I did a litle reading.

Perhaps I ran out too fast. The time posted for my first 10k was good and fast, and I read on several sites that if you feel like you're going fast in the first 10 miles, it's a sign that you need to slow down. I recall keeping my speed down at the beginning of previous runs, and just waiting for time to pass so I could pick it up. I wish I had remembered that on Sunday because my initial speed might have triggered the burnout. I know I have another sub-4 race in me. There are always spring marathons to look forward to.


1 comment:

cs said...

It is so easy to start a marathon too fast. The margin is so slim. A slightly brisk but still easy first 10K might feel like the best run of your life, and the tank doesn't start to run low until 10 or more likely 20K after that...intuition often fails.

This is why we have to keep signing up for these things!