Monday, May 7, 2012

Saved by a fountain

Feeling under the weather right now but I had an amazing run yesterday. Me and the lugubrious sunshine finally enjoyed some tête-à-tête (we drifted a bit after our time together in the southern hemisphere). The sun was out in full force and I imagined my vitamin D health meter rising, its neon yellow liquid gurgling in the heat like Mr Clean in a solar panel.

I ran for a long time on a dirt road by the boat club. Along the narrow, crumbly road that descends from the paved bike path to the dirt road hugging the river, I saw clumps of ferns at least a foot high.  

On the dirt road were just a few people - some runners, a few folks with fishing rods - and I soaked up solitude like a big happy sponge. The silver rowing boats stacked on a portable shelving unit by the main building were long and thin as needles ready to slice through waves in the next morning practice.     

Turned around and headed back, and after a short while I felt the thirst creeping up. I slurped the last bead of water from my bottle and thought of options. I don't know of any fountains near that area. I considered the ol' suck it up approach but my energy was waning, so I detoured from the home stretch and headed to the market. Slipped inside the main building and filled up the water bottle. Gulped it down and went for a refill! After capping the bottle and wading through the madding crowds to the canal, I felt my life force return. 22k.



~ In memory of Margot ~ 


1 comment:

cs said...

Ah, I picture that route (and the tempting snacks in that market building) so clearly! It must have been a fine run.