Sunday, October 13, 2013

Man on a bike

One of my favorite places to run is a path along the river heading east. It's popular with people who live close by and enjoy strolling with their dogs on Sunday mornings. Some with fishing poles scramble down the rocky embankments to the water's edge beyond the tall grass and short trees. That's on the river side. The other side of the path is forest, or what counts as forest in a city. A small patch of land heading uphill, dense with trees the colour of flames.

A perfect aspect of this place is the affordability of quiet. You can leave the city behind. You can rip your ear buds out and jack in to peacefulness: gentle waves; the scuff of your shoes against gravel; the absence of traffic noise. Even the blue sky emits a serene vibe.

My head was probably swimming in my own Universe of Nat at the very moment when the man on the bike rode by. His horn startled me,  It was a clown's horn - honka!-honka!-honka! - and I glanced up to see a man with white hair and mirrored glasses. On the back of bike two large flags were somehow secured and they bobbed with his pedal strokes. Not a smile escaped his lips.

I think that he honked that hilarious horn to make me laugh. And he succeeded!

Also: I tested a weird gel. It was oddly delicious.
20k.



2 comments:

cs said...

Salted caramel?!! They're making salted caramel gels? It's as if Gu knew I had just turned away from their gels!

Fran said...

I'm sure the barristas would be surprised to hear this, but that GU tastes just like the Starbucks drink of the same name!