Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A little cooler


The temperatures have dipped down just a shade, and the morning running is much easier. I guess it's a trend. Again today the air felt cooler than it did last week. As I slowly jogged away from the apartment building and toward the running path, I tried to conjure the faint chill of fall on my bare arms but couldn’t – it’s not THAT cool.

Instead, there is less icky sticky sweat rolling down puffy skin; less thirst during a 5k in the freakin' morning; less plodding through a dense wall of humidity…and more runners.

I totally get it. Everyone and their grandma wants to be outside to wring the most sunshine and vitamin D from July now that the discomfort has subsided. And it’s not so bad having runners floating just ahead, inspiring me to work my edge, push harder – and try to pass them! I get passed often enough that I feel no shame in passing the odd runner myself. It just shows that I'm no slower and no faster than most runners out there.

But now that it’s gone, I realize I was getting used to running in the humid heat. I hope a bit of that sauna effect returns before summer runs out – maybe this sounds crazy, but I miss it.

Frannie's Incredible Watermelon Smoothie

You will think you're drinking candy. Give it a try.

What you will need:
  • Protein powder (this one is greenish, maybe cuz it's vegan)
  • Watermelon chunks
  • Banana (for thickness and overall smoothie support)
  • Water 


Step 1: Assemble ingredients and then whirl.


Step 2: Drink with much panache
while admiring the torso of the Greek god Achilles.




1 comment:

cs said...

So, the key to a suitable watermelon smoothie consistency is banana? Hmmm....thanks!