Monday, January 26, 2009

Change

There is a network of caffeine-themed support that keeps North Americans operating at hyperspeed like microbes in a light-induced frenzy. I was introduced to this buzz-bolstered lifestyle when I started my career and was slowly incorporated into office coffee culture. Each company employee was assigned a day per month to make coffee in the office kitchen for the rest of us; by mid-morning, when the pot was milked dry, workers would troop to the grimy bar next door which transformed with the rising sun into a grimy coffee shop (the filth was more noticeable during daylight hours). This routine was occasionally topped up by an organized "Timmy's run." This coffee obsession was novel to me and I chalked it up to another office culture peculiarity until I realized, with some paranoia, and that my office's obsession with coffee was a microcosmic example of the dependence prevalent in my culture at large. Social events are coffee kick-started: mornings, meetings, friendships, and the day's last mugful is served after dinner to tide one over until the first dose of the next day.

I believe that coffee shops and other enablers gain financially from the addictions they cleverly sustain in two populations: office workers and, weirdly, runners. My club convenes at a coffee shop before and after running sessions. Gels and other "energy" sources (I won't call them food) contain caffeine (my favorite is not named Espresso Love for nothing). Caffeine is a marathon drug that quickens the blood, enabling us to do more, faster. Is that the main purpose of running and work? Only tyrants would agree. In defiance of this ridiculous association between my work, my sport and my unconscious desire for coffee, all which work together to make someone else rich and leave me dehydrated of coins and fluids, I am loosening my iron grip on the mug. For the last month, I have been greeting the day with a cup of coffee substitute and I tote a thermos of jasmine tea to drink at the office. I'm trying to wean myself off of the daily dose so that coffee can enjoy a new status in my life, that of a treat, and thus release me from its shackles – a reference to the theme of freedom in my life. We shall see how well I manage. It's a big change. And one day, the tea will have to go, too.

5 comments:

cs said...

Soooo, this isn't about your post, as good as it is---because you weren't there this morning, I had to eat a whole beavertail by myself.
Oh, well, my stomach needs the training. lol

cs said...

I forgot to mention that I didn't quite make it to run club either. LOL

cs said...

So, I found out that it's burfi and not barfi. nice!
Thank you so much for another splendid run, and sorry for the slight uncertainty at the beginning ('where is she?') LOL

cs said...

Sometimes, when I come here hoping for a new post, I click on the Madimoiselle blog link and pretend that that's you, getting all decked out for glittery afterhours of Ottawa.
Not that there's such a thing in Ottawa....is there?

Fran said...

hmmm, i don't know...maybe on halloween evening and the day of the gay parade!